Tuesday, September 10, 2013

It Was A Rocky Start...

But I'm definitely sure that I chose the right career for me. I'm really enjoying teaching [even though this is only the second week school has been in session]. Last week and the week before, I was feeling completely confused and lost with what I was supposed to be doing. I did not find out the classes I would be teaching until the Friday before school started. Needless to say, it was a little nerve-wrecking and anxiety-making; for me, higher anxiety is not a good thing. I was able to get into the swing of things like usual, though. Here we are at the end of the second week, and I'm ready to lesson plan up to the end of the month.

Now, that's not to say that I've been doing perfectly and haven't made any mistakes. I definitely have. If you're looking to be a teacher [ANY teacher] here is what I've learned so far:

  • Journals sound like a great thing in theory. Yeah! My students can write creatively and make real-world connections! In reality? No. No. Nope.
  • If you want to have your students write journal entries you need to know these three things:
    • DO NOT assign the writing in all of your classes at the same time. Your writing hand will thank you. Emphatically. So will your brain.
    • DO NOT assign a prompt that will enable/encourage students to write about deep, personal events from their lives UNLESS you are willing and ready to have several long conversations with their guidance counselor. 
    • DO NOT attempt to write lots of *helpful* comments and suggestions on their writing. You hand and brain will disown you, and that sucks. 
  • Lay down the law sternly and OFTEN. 

I'll get back to this in a few weeks.....




Need to get past a few things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment