Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I want to be possessed and know blinding joys.

Most human lives are usually lived in a state of functional nihilism. Very few of us believe that human life is devoid of all meaning and that all we should do is answer to our base urges and fulfill our basic desires and try to distract ourselves from pain or fear or unpleasantness. But almost all of us act as if we believe that. So what are we going to do about consciousness and how are we going to balance our urge to be more than nihilists with our need to blunt the sharp edges of consciousness? 

There are things one reads that make you aware that you have lived nothing, felt nothing, experienced nothing up to that time. I was reading one of the blogs I followed fairly regularly and she summed up two of the impressions I get most often during/after reading a John Green book:


1. "Reading John Green has the uncanny ability to make me feel really, really young and just a little bit dorky. It also makes me go all giggly and squeal-y, and occasionally groan-y because of the mathematics. I love you, John Green, in a non-creep way."


2. :Ya know, reading John Green, you wish you were one of the people he wrote about. That you're life's all good, if a little better, when you find yourself a character in a John Green novel."



I've recently decided to compile a book list of what I would consider *must reads*. This will be completed prior to my departure for California. Speaking of, the west coast and I need to be reunited asap. I'm incredibly sick of the east coast, particularly. Until the next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment